Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2006 15:26:43 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Talbot Michael Katz <topkatz@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sorted-by option Catch 22
Comments: To: Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET>

Hi Art.

That is an interesting gotcha. However, by my reading, it does match what the SAS PROC SORT documentation says will happen, and the FORCE option gives you redress:

"FORCE sorts and replaces an indexed data set when the OUT= option is not specified. Without the FORCE option, PROC SORT does not sort and replace an indexed data set because sorting destroys user-created indexes for the data set. When you specify FORCE, PROC SORT sorts and replaces the data set and destroys all user-created indexes for the data set. Indexes that were created or required by integrity constraints are preserved.

"Tip: PROC SORT checks for the sort information before it sorts a data set so that data is not re-sorted unnecessarily. By default, PROC SORT does not sort a data set if the sort information matches the requested sort. You can use FORCE to override this behavior. You might need to use FORCE if SAS cannot verify the sort specification in the data set option SORTEDBY=. For more information about SORTEDBY=, see the chapter on SAS data set options in SAS Language Reference: Dictionary.

"Restriction: If you use PROC SORT with the FORCE option on data sets that were created with the Version 5 compatibility engine or with a sequential engine such as a tape format engine, you must also specify the OUT= option."

What do you think the preferable default behavior should be for SORTEDBY?

-- TMK -- "The Macro Klutz"