Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 May 2006 22:32:36 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS/ACCESS & Excel

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:18:29 -0400, Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org> <nospam@HOWLES.COM> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:47:04 -0400, Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org> ><nospam@HOWLES.COM> wrote: > >>On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:50:03 -0700, lei <leiliang217@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >> >>>If we do not have SAS/ACCESS, can we automatically import multiple >>>Excel workbooks into SAS datasets. or we have to change Excel workbooks >>>into .txt then automatically read in? >> >>As far as I know, DDE is the only Base SAS technique for moving data >>directly from native Excel representation to SAS. >> >>> >>>Can SAS Enterprise Guide import multiple workbooks automatically? Like >>>in SAS/Base read in .txt file. >> >>I believe that EG is just a front end for SAS, so it can't do anything >>which requires use of a SAS product which isn't licensed. > >However a usually well-informed birdie somewhat tentatively tells me that >Enterprise Guide may be able to use the Microsoft Jet engine to read XLS >files natively, without the need for SAS/ACCESS for PC Files.

The birdie also opened a support ticket for me. Subsequently, SAS Tech Support told me that the functionality is in SAS Integration Technologies. So I guess the revised answer is that you need either SAS/ACCESS for PC Files or S.I.T.

Tech Support also told me that the Excel support in S.I.T. is 2-way (read/write).

Also: EG does *not* generate PROC EXPORT/IMPORT code. So I don't know how one would drive this with code instead of point-and-click.

Behind the scenes, it seems that the process is not as direct as it is using the Excel engine. This is a quote from tech support: "SAS Integration technologies allows EG's Import task to move the PC data (ms access, excel, csv, etc.) from the client up to the SAS server as a .txt file, then EG creates and exectutes datastep code to convert the .txt file into a SAS data set which can then be used with EG tasks."