Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2006 14:50:33 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Can anyone give SAS Macro tutorial
Comments: To: iw1junk@comcast.net

Shalu,

You have gotten lots of good advice including the latest from Master Ian. I would like to add one more tiny suggestion. After you have gotten comfortable writing SAS code yourself, SAS Component Language is a much better choice for a language to tell a machine how to write SAS code. Don't go near the antiquated Macro Language. Why would I say such a thing, you ask? Search the SAS-L archives to get an appreciation of how many man years have been wasted dealing with Macro Language Headaches. As you will see, the same questions appear over and over and over ad nauseum. I recently downloaded all the posts on SAS-L and will have some estimates of just how many man years have been wasted trying to deal with the arcane, antiquated macro language.

Joe

On 5/31/06, Ian Whitlock <iw1junk@comcast.net> wrote: > > Shalu, > > You can learn a lot of SAS from SUGI papers. You can use > > http://lexjansen.com/sugi/ > > as a convenient search tool to find papers and tutorials > on any number of SAS subjects. > > In terms of SAS macro, just remember that macro is a programming > language for generating SAS code, so you should be quite > familiar with what good SAS code looks like before attempting to > tell a machine how to write it. > > Ian Whitlock > ================= > Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 23:05:49 -0700 > Reply-To: shalu <shaalinig@GMAIL.COM> > Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" > From: shalu <shaalinig@GMAIL.COM> > Organization: http://groups.google.com > Subject: Can anyone give SAS Macro tutorial > Comments: To: sas-l > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" > Hi, > I am new to SAS programming and i want to learn SAS MACRO'S .Can Anyone > give me the websites which teaches this or give some Pdf's as tutorial. > Thank's in advance. > Shalu >