Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 May 2006 09:03:09 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Lei Zhang <lzhang9830@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS as a programming language (OT: Response)
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hi Gerhard and Howard, What I wanted to point out before is that SAS is slow to follow the advance in computer science. The syntax it uses is very similiar to old languages like JCL, Fortran or PL/1, which were good languages at that time. Since then, SAS has been struggled to borrow some new langauge features from OO, but hasn't been successful yet. I heard that they were going to provide user-define function feature for Data step in SAS 9.2 after many requests from users. Personally I think they should have provided this feature ten years ago, not until next year or later. I hope significant changes will be made in SAS 10 in order for them to catch up with the times.

LZ