Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 1 Jun 2006 05:42:59 -0400
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Cheek, Bob (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH)" <rhc0@CDC.GOV>
Subject:   Black-bellied Whistling Ducks at Altamaha WMA

I did a coastal birding trip over the holidays and was surprised to find Black-bellied Whistling Ducks at the Altamaha WMA on two occasions.

I saw them on Sunday evening on Butler Island. I noticed a large flock of large ducks flying with a distinct white upper wing pattern. They were also making a sort of whistling noise as they flew. They flew around the ponds a couple of times and then landed on the large, white, colonel style home at the Northeast end of the ponds. At that time I went down to the

house and counted around 20 of them on top of the house. They were still there when I left.

I returned to do more birding there on Tuesday evening and saw a small flock of five ducks. They also flew down to the same house and landed. They did not stay there long and

flew off as I went down there with my spotting scope. Other good birds included 2 Least Bitterns and 2 Purple Gallinules. Needless to say, the Whistling Ducks were the highlight of my trip.

Take care,

Bob Cheek

Stockbridge, Ga.