Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:59:27 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Running a perl program, PIPEing the output

kviel@EMORY.EDU replied: >On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, David L Cassell wrote: > > > Excellent advice! Okay, now you're my official respondent for all > > PROC SURVEYSELECT questions that get asked over the next couple > > weeks while I'm out of town. Ken will answer the PRX function > > questions, Peter will jump on stepwise regression questions, and I'm > > sure someone will step into the void to be mean to people who are > > taking inefficient approaches to data handling. Ken suggested that > > the word 'minion' be used. Which means... > >Uh-oh! I see that you left off the person responsible for advising the >use of a one line perl script. I guess that means I should ask this

Well, Bob isn't around much anymore, and Alan insisted on advising people to write it in C#, so ... :-)

>question now, and blame haste as the culprit for its amorphous nature... > >I have a perl module that I use to write a CSV file to a repository. The >file turns out to be as large as its source. This is no good. Is it >possible to call the perl script from SAS but PIPE in the output data? >I would therefore avoid a "duplicate" file? > >Thanks,

Yes. And no.

Yes, you can use the FILENAME PIPE engine to feed the STDOUT of the Perl process directly into a data step.

But no, if you are on a Windows machine, the pipe writes to a temporary file, so you can't completely avoid that 'duplicate file on the hard drive' issue. If you're on a unix box, the pipe works just the way you want.

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Donít just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/