Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:18:24 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde <ddraj2015@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS
Comments:   To: Mark Terjeson <Mterjeson@RUSSELL.COM>

Hi Mark,

I have several large files that I couldn't even open one file at a time. It is taking 15 minutes for me to open each file. So I was thinking of importing them into SAS and send them back as txt files. Or is there any other idea for this? Of course I have more than 100 xls files in that directory. But all I need is 40 files to be converted into txt files.

Hi Gadde,

Can you just open them in Excel, do a SaveAs, change the filetype to .txt and click OK?

or do you have so many files that you want to automate this process?

Are you wanting SAS to find all the .xls files in a directory and then convert and output them? SAS can do that.

and if you have so many files, we have to ask if these are of "like" things, and would it not be better to have them consolidated, but of course we have no idea what you circumstances are.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group

Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 11:57 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS

Hi All,

I have several excel files saved in a directory. How can I change all the excel files into .txt files in SAS? Is there a way to do that? I think we can import one file at a time into SAS and then send them back as text files. Please help me if there is a possibility to do this.

Thanks for the help

Gadde