Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:06:53 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "[Ela Bonbevan]" <bonbevan@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Syntax for Finding errors

Hello all,

I have been trying to write a little bit of syntax to identify errors in my database. I know I am close but I can't seem to get the right syntax for identify blank cells. In this case the error is defined as a case with a value in the variable "region" but no value in the variable "country". Region is coded 1-10 - and so is country. I wrote the syntax below to identify all of these error cases as a value of 1 on a new variable "error".

This is what I have so far....

Compute error = $sysmis. If (region > 0) and (country = sysmis) error = 1.

...but it won't work!

Many thanks