Date:         Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:06:43 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: change numerical to string using value labels
Comments: To: Judith Slaa <e.j.slaa@LEEDS.AC.UK>

There is a check box on the save dialog for excel files that saves value labels rather than values in the spreadsheet.

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Judith Slaa Sent: Mon 7/3/2006 7:44 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: change numerical to string using value labels

Hi,

I am trying to get large data sets from SPSS into Excel (and eventually into ACCESS). The problem is that most data are coded as numerical with attached value labels, and when I save as an Excel file I only get the numbers, not the actual labels. I know it can be recoded manually, typing in the actual value labels in the 'new for old values' box, but does anyone know whether there is an automatic way to change numerical data into string data as defined by the value labels? Because the data sets are truely large it would save me days of work!

Cheers,

Judith