Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:15:15 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Howie Harshaw <harshaw@interchange.ubc.ca>
Subject:      LOOP Question

Hi Folks,

I have to do a series of analyses for six different communities in one dataset. The communities are coded from 1 to 6. I the past, I have created six different filters and had lots of code. It dawned on me that there is a more parsimonious way of doing this, and I thought that LOOP might work; having never used it before, I tried to adapt an example form the syntax manual, but to no avail. I have pasted my code below... what have I done wrong?

LOOP #I - 1 TO 6. COMPUTE filter_$=(Comm=#I). VARIABLE LABEL filter_$ '(Comm=#I) (FILTER)'. VALUE LABELS filter_$ 0 'Not Selected' 1 'Selected'. FORMAT filter_$ (f1.0). FILTER BY filter_$. EXECUTE .

FREQUENCIES /*Descriptive statistics for selected variables*/ VARIABLES=sec01_04 Sec02_03 Sec02_06 Sec02_10 Sec02_12 Sec11_04 Sec11_09 @NEP_SCALE /STATISTICS=STDDEV MINIMUM MAXIMUM SEMEAN MEAN MODE /ORDER= ANALYSIS .

END LOOP.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Howard Harshaw, Ph.D. Research Associate Forest Resource Management Faculty of Forestry