Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:15:31 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Calculation of totals including missing data in cross tabs
Comments: To: dmartin@alineagroup.com

How is a missing value represented? Do you have special codes like 9 for not asked, not answered, etc. which you then define missing values. Or are they represented by system-missing. If they are represented by values declared missing, then you need to use the /MISSING INCLUDE. IF they are represented by system missing, then you need to recode SYSMIS into a value and declare that as missing first.

________________________________

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Daniel E. Martin, Ph.D. Sent: Mon 7/10/2006 5:32 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Calculation of totals including missing data in cross tabs

Folks,

Hoping I can get help with this small problem. I have a database of survey data (with several organizational divisions) , and am running cross tabs with the following syntax:

USE ALL.

COMPUTE filter_$=(Group = 1 & Division = 44).

VARIABLE LABEL filter_$ 'Group = 1 & Division = 43 (FILTER)'.

VALUE LABELS filter_$ 0 'Not Selected' 1 'Selected'.

FORMAT filter_$ (f1.0).

FILTER BY filter_$.

EXECUTE .

The cross tabs below are breaking out the specific departments by items.

CROSSTABS

/TABLES=Department BY Informed Policies Answers Vent Team Enjoy Beliefs ConflictBeliefs Walks Applied Recommend

Contribution Expected Safe Respect Ethics Net Email Honesty Teamimp Positive Sensitive Insist Safteycom communication06

Teamwork06 Support06 OverallMclane

/FORMAT= AVALUE TABLES

/CELLS= COUNT ROW TOTAL

/COUNT ROUND CELL .

My problem is the item n and the totals are different. I realize this is due to non response in the specific item, but I am looking to calculate the row percentage by the actual # of surveys returned.

Thanks for your help!