Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:22:24 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: Multiple line syntax comments
Comments: To: james.moffitt@thomson.com

Even without the indent. Indentation of continuation lines (in comments or commands) is required only in production mode, I believe. For ordinary syntax files under Windows, I understand that asterisked comments go on and on, with an asterisk only in the first line, until a period is encountered. Hector

-----Mensaje original----- De: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] En nombre de Jim Moffitt Enviado el: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:06 PM Para: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Asunto: Re: Multiple line syntax comments

Thanks, Richard.

-----Original Message----- From: Oliver, Richard [mailto:roliver@spss.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:03 PM To: Moffitt, James (West); SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Multiple line syntax comments

Indenting the continuation lines should work -- but make sure that only the last line ends with a period. A period as the last non-blank character in a line is interpreted as the command terminator.

This should work: *This is a comment with two sentences. The second sentence continues on the second line.

This will generate an error: *This is a comment with two sentences. The second sentence continues on the second line.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jim Moffitt Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:34 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Multiple line syntax comments

Sorry about the simple question, but I can't find an answer in any of my SPSS books.

If I want to extend a comment in a syntax window to multiple lines must I each new line with an asterisk?

I've tried beginning the first line with an asterisk and indenting the subsequent lines, but I get error messages.