Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:30:55 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Statisticsdoc <statisticsdoc@cox.net>
Subject:      Re: Multiple line syntax comments
Comments: To: james.moffitt@thomson.com

Stephen Brand www.statisticsdoc.com

Richard -

A great deal of good advice has been given on this topic - let me just add a side note. Richard's point about using an asterisk to start each line of a comment is sound advice. I would also suggest making a habit of leaving a blank line after the comment in case the ending period is omitted. For example, the recode statement in the following example will take effect:

* OOPS I forgot the period before an important recode statement

RECODE THISVAR (1 2 = 9) .

However, in the following example, SPSS reads the recode statement as a part of the comment, and does not execute it.

* OOPS I forgot the period before an important recode statement RECODE THISVAR (1 2 = 9) .

Just my five cents,

Stephen Brand

For personalized and professional consultation in statistics and research design, visit www.statisticsdoc.com

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Jim Moffitt Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:34 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Multiple line syntax comments

Sorry about the simple question, but I can't find an answer in any of my SPSS books.

If I want to extend a comment in a syntax window to multiple lines must I each new line with an asterisk?

I've tried beginning the first line with an asterisk and indenting the subsequent lines, but I get error messages.