Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:34:50 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Syntax for Finding errors
Comments: To: "[Ela Bonbevan]" <bonbevan@AOL.COM>

1. never use a construct like x eq sysmis because the outcome is always missing Instead do this: sysmis(x) 2. any new numeric variable is initialized to system missing so compute error =$sysmis. is unnecessary Handling missing values is tricky in transformations.

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of [Ela Bonbevan] Sent: Wed 7/12/2006 9:06 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Syntax for Finding errors

Hello all,

I have been trying to write a little bit of syntax to identify errors in my database. I know I am close but I can't seem to get the right syntax for identify blank cells. In this case the error is defined as a case with a value in the variable "region" but no value in the variable "country". Region is coded 1-10 - and so is country. I wrote the syntax below to identify all of these error cases as a value of 1 on a new variable "error".

This is what I have so far....

Compute error = $sysmis. If (region > 0) and (country = sysmis) error = 1.

...but it won't work!

Many thanks