Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:58:59 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Edward Boadi <eboadi@abhct.com>
Subject:      Re: Transforming date variables
Comments: To: "[Ela Bonbevan]" <bonbevan@AOL.COM>

Try This:

Compute Var_Year = number(substr(Date_var,1,4)). Compute Var_Month = number(substr(Date_var,5,2)). Compute Var_Day = number(substr(Date_var,7,2)). Compute New_Date = DATE.MDY(Var_Month,Var_Day,Var_Year).

FORMATS New_Date (ADATE10). EXECUTE.

---Edward.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of [Ela Bonbevan] Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:25 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Transforming date variables

Hello all,

Another small question - I am working with spss 14 and using the date function. I have a variable imported from Excel that is a date but it is in a numeric format. I want to make it a recognized date variable in spss. For July 25, 2006 the value appears as 20060725. Using the date/time wizard it appears easiest to transform a variable that is a string. I want to do this in the syntax but I can't figure out how. This means that I have to go back to the data window and change it to a string manually. I am sure this is easy to do but I have been through the manual section on formats with no luck...

Many thanks Diane