Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:53:30 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Using Execute
Comments: To: Lisa Stickney <Lts1@ptd.net>

Although its not really obvious, you can turn off the EXECUTE command in Edit>Options under Transformation and Merge Operations.

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Lisa Stickney Sent: Wed 7/12/2006 11:47 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Using Execute

Hi Richard,

As always, your point is well taken. IMHO, I think that for many people using Execute has become a habit. I, myself, confess to being a former Execute user (is there a self-help group for that?). I got in the habit of using Execute about 4 years ago when I started using SPSS, after a nearly 12 year hiatus. Since I never used it a lot, I didn't remember the syntax, structure or nuances of the language, so I used the Paste button to "refresh" my memory & learn the syntax. If you do that, and don't really understand when/why execute is needed, it's easy to get in the habit of putting them in, often way too frequently. Plus, as ViAnn pointed out, unless your file is large or your processor very slow, you're not likely to notice the difference. That said, however, once I understood the function of Execute, I starting making a point to use it considerably less frequently (I guess there's still a programmer lurking in me :) So, in short and on behalf of everyone on this list, thanks for all your help in educating us.

Best, Lisa

Lisa T. Stickney Ph.D. Candidate The Fox School of Business and Management Temple University Lts@temple.edu