Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:41:31 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Marks, Jim" <Jim.Marks@lodgenet.com>
Subject:      Re: reverse concat
Comments: To: "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>

When I'm working on "gnarly transformation problems", I mostly use FREQ, CROSS, or DESC instead of EXECUTE. That way, I can see the results of the transformations (to debug the coding).

I have large datsets, so I do have extra processing costs, (usually made worse by tring to multi-task.) In the bad old days, it was walk to the library and read through "Sociological Abstracts" while waiting for the error log/ output :~).

--jim

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Beadle, ViAnn Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:04 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: reverse concat

OK, I'll take your bait.

I don't actually use EXECUTE in syntax but when I'm work out gnarly transformation problems I frequently Run Pending Transformations (which generates your dreaded EXECUTE) from the data editor and see the effects of my transformations immediately. My strategy is to work through the problem a "executable" unit at a time and check out the unit by running the pending transformations. Unless your dealing with wide (more than 200 or so variables) or long (more than 10,000) or more cases the time to actually do the transformation is much less than the think time to step mentally through the process.

What does that extra processing really cost you? It's not like the bad old days when every job submittal at $1.00 a pop ate up my account at the University of Chicago Comp Center.

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Richard Ristow Sent: Tue 7/11/2006 7:02 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: reverse concat

OK, I guess most of you know my diatribe. Many thanks to Jim Marks and for noting this in thread "Easy problem".

<big snip/>

The logic looks fine. But the EXECUTE statements *are not recommended*. They contribute nothing; they slow processing, by forcing the whole file to be read for each one.

Now, diatribe isn't always the best way to make a point. Would anybody who's an 'EXECUTE' user, like to say why the statement seems to be a