Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:27:58 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joseph Teitelman temp2 <cmtemp2@pgahq.com>
Subject:      Re: Complex Samples - SPSS vs Stat
Comments: To: "Will Bailey [Statman]" <statmanz@earthlink.net>

SUDAAN was developed by the Research Triangle Institute, which is surrounded by Duke, UNC, and NCSU. As such, SUDAAN is quite popular around that area of NC. WesVar directly competes with SUDAAN.

I've used SUDAAN but not WesVar.

I'd suspect that the only differences between these two packages which specialize in the analysis of complex and sometime multistage sampling survey data.

In the 90s, neither SAS nor SPSS provided facilities for analyziing survey data. Now, both software packages perform analyses of survey data. Yet, they were never developed to specialize in the analysis of sample survey data. Whereas, SUDAAN and WesVar were.

Since you probably don't have 1000 dollars to purchase SUDAAN or WesVar, I'd suggest that you use the SPSS add-on developed for that very purpose. Personally, I'm a SAS user, but have been forced to learn SPSS as part of my job.

I hope this information proves helpful

Joe Teitelman >>> "Will Bailey [Statman]" <statmanz@earthlink.net> 7/11/2006 8:27 AM >>> There also is Westat's WesVar and SUDAAN

One point, IMHO, none is better than the other only a personal preference. Also, each handles the sample development slightly different.

The SPSS module is fully integrated into SPSS and a great benefit if one's primary stat pack is SPSS. WesVar & SUDAAN are pretty much standalone. I have used WesVar for several years but know very little about the SUDAAN.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kristina Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 7:53 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Complex Samples - SPSS vs Stat

I am using a national dataset that employs a complex sampling design. I understand the reasons for using software that accounts for the weighting and complex sampling design. However, I see that there are a few statistical packages available to assist with complex samples. I would like to use either SPSS Complex Samples or Stata. Is one package better, easier, etc. than the other? Thanks,