Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:30:09 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: Using Execute
Comments: To: Lisa Stickney <Lts1@ptd.net>

At 12:47 PM 7/12/2006, Lisa Stickney wrote:

>I, myself, confess to being a former Execute user (is there a >self-help group for that?). I got in the habit ofusing Execute about >4 years ago when I started using SPSS, after a nearly 12 year >hiatus. I didn't remember the syntax, so I used the Paste button to >"refresh" my memory & learn the syntax.

Yes; that's an excellent practice. But,

>If you do that, and don't really understand when/why execute is >needed, it's easy to get in the habit of putting them in

Good ever-lovin' grief! Thank you, Lisa! I didn't even know that SPSS inserted EXECUTEs following pasted syntax commands. (See below.)

If SPSS puts EXECUTEs after every (pasted) transformation command, of COURSE users will think they're necessary.

Other readers: Did this happen to you, too? It's precisely the right way to form precisely the wrong habit.

Beadle, ViAnn wrote at 12:53 PM 7/12/2006,

>Although its not really obvious, you can turn off the EXECUTE command >[that's pasted after pasted transformation commands] in Edit>Options >under Transformation and Merge Operations.

To be precise (since I had to look for it myself), it's

Edit>Options>Data; then, under Transformation and Merge Operations, + To get the EXECUTE pasted, select "Calculate values immediately"; + To omit it, select "Calculate values before used". (Which is the default?)

I'd long forgotten that option was there. I probably selected "Calculate values before used" on general principles, thinking of directly executed, rather than pasted, transformations. I paste transformation commands sometimes, but I guess I never had an EXECUTE