Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:07:11 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dates, Brian" <BDATES@swsol.org>
Subject:      Re: Likert scale

Dominic,

With seven (7) response categories, you can probably treat the data as interval in nature. I'm a purist and my principal area of work is in measurement development and standardization, so I generally follow the IRT approach and then do the analysis on the IRT scaled items. Likert actually developed a scaling method for his approach to items which would be worth your time for future endeavors. As part of your analysis, I would recommend at least performing a reliability analysis to check for internal consistency and the relationship of the items to total score, so you can identify any "clinker" items that might exist. Good luck.

Brian

Brian G. Dates, Director of Quality Assurance Southwest Counseling and Development Services 1700 Waterman Detroit, Michigan 48209 Telephone: 313.841.7442 FAX: 313.841.4470 email: bdates@swcds.org