Date:         Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:13:42 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "[Ela Bonbevan]" <bonbevan@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Working with dates - now pulled out ALL MY HAIR

Many thanks to all who helped with my date problems. I was able to use some of the syntax to fix some of my dates and I am most grateful for the help.

I must confess that I don't find the date import from Excel to SPSS very straightforward. The data in my excel database comes from two sources and the date formats are all over the place.

One set comes as 19950816 and this is the easiest. The other comes like this 1/20/1999 and displays like this 20-Jan-99. Today when I did the excel import it brought up the following 4 cells. Where 38058 was supposed to be 13 March 04 and 38205 was supposed to be 7 August 04. I have made numerous attempts to fix this by standardizing the formats in Excel before I bring the sheet in but formatting cells appears to have no effect.

08-JAN-04 38058 07.07.04 38205

Any help??

Diane