Date:         Tue, 4 Jul 2006 08:46:06 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: AW:      Python not running?
Comments: To: "Pfister, Rolf" <r.pfister@spss.ch>

Also, assuming that you can run SPSS in the ordinary way, check that you can run Python from the SPSS syntax window.

BEGIN PROGRAM. import spss print "hello, world" END PROGRAM.

One other thing to check: if you had SPSS 14.0.0 and the 14.0.0 plug-in installed, when you upgraded, did you uninstall the 14.0.0 plug-in before installing the 14.0.1 version? If not, you still have the older plug-in, and you must have the 14.0.1 or 2 versions of both SPSS and the plug-in in order to invoke SPSS from Python.

HTH Jon Peck SPSS

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Pfister, Rolf Sent: Tue 7/4/2006 4:49 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: [SPSSX-L] AW: Python not running? Heiko,

Can you use SPSS without Python? The error says that SPSS is not licensed! If you don't have a valid license, use the license authorization wizard to get a valid license.

If it's not a license problem, check the requirements of the installation guide "Python plugin for SPSS 14.0.1 - Windows", valid for SPSS 14.0.1 and 14.0.2. You can find it at the Developer Central of the SPSS Website:

http://www.spss.com/devcentral/index.cfm?pg=articleDet&artId=8

Just follow the guide step by step and you will succeed!

Good luck!

Regards Rolf

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Im Auftrag von Heiko Klemm Gesendet: Dienstag, 4. Juli 2006 09:43 An: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Betreff: Python not running?

Dear Lister's

I have trouble using Python to control the Spss processor.

Does anybody have a clue what went wrong? I installed

- Spss 14.0.2 (german version)

- ActivePython 2.4

- Spssaux

- Spssaux2

- Spssdata

- Last three under: C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages

This is the error message I got:

>>Traceback (most recent call last):

>> File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?

>> File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\spss\spss.py", line 518, in GetVariableCount

>> StartSPSS()

>> File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\spss\spss.py", line 154, in StartSPSS

>> raise SpssError,error

>>SpssError: [errLevel 19] SPSS is not licensed (failed to get license for SPSS Base).

Thanx for your ideas...

Heiko Kle