Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:03:59 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Janice Chang <jchang@flmnh.ufl.edu>
Subject:      SPSS changing data in fields

I've been working with large data files consisting of over 500 individual cases. For the past several weeks, SPSS has been replacing some cases with others. For example, rather than having cases 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...., I'll end up with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 8... The first variable is the case number. Sorting by the case number lists the cases as 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 8 which tells me that my data is being deleted and replaced rather than being rearranged. I have tried re-entering those cases and inserting new case fields in the event that those fields have been corrupted in some way. Eventually, it always reverts back. Any ideas on what SPSS is doing or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. ~janice

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Janice Chang MESS Research Associate

Center for Informal Science Education Florida Museum of Natural History Powell Hall University of Florida P.O. Box 112710 Gainesville, FL 32611-2710

Phone: (352) 846-2000 x 268 Fax: (352) 846-0253