Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:38:06 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Weeks, Kyle" <kweeks@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: SV: For those in need of running SAS using an SPSS
              file
Comments: To: jemiller <miller@praxis.ca>

The UCLA Technical Report is out of date and, in some cases, inaccurate. We have been working with UCLA to update the document and hope to have it updated soon. Also, there are some inaccuracies in some of the posts below.

For example, SPSS does, in fact, have a MATRIX language and also has access through the Programmability Extension to a wide variety of number libraries. Also, SPSS can save directly as a SAS data file, there is no need to save to a portable file first.

Regards.

Kyle Weeks, Ph.D. Director of Product Management, SPSS Product Line Product Management SPSS Inc. kweeks@spss.com www.spss.com SPSS Inc. helps organizations turn data into insight through predictive analytics.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of jemiller Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:32 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SV: For those in need of running SAS using an SPSS file

So, your point is? - very possibly the people who are on this list prefer SPSS for their own reason or there would not be a well populated list like this nor a SPSS software package.

Why come on the SPSS listserv to get pissed off that some people prefer SPSS (taking into consideration your other recent posts)?? Very strange behaviour.

I must say I really appreciate SPSS and the prolific contributors to this list! jem

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joseph Teitelman temp2 Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:15 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] SV: For those in need of running SAS using an SPSS file

I'd suggest that all those who wish to draw comparisons between SAS and SPSS read the article referenced below.

I was surprised by only one finding. I was under the impression that SAS had substantially increased its capabilities to analyze survey data. Unfortunately, this was not the case. It does make a great deal of sense to use SUDAAN for such purposes.

The information about Stata hardly surprised me. I have been told by statisticians at Duke that many of the younger statisticians prefer Stata.

Based upon the author's conclusions about SPSS, it would appear as if he believes that SPSS is the weakest program among the three.

Finally let me add a few corrections to the article.

First, you can perform logistic regression in SAS using either proc logistic, proc catmod, or proc genmod. You can definitely obtain the predicted probabilities in logistic regression. The author of the article was simply incorrect when he stated that only Stata could perform such computations.

Next, Stat/IML is a matrix programming language which comes along with SAS. It is extremely powerful. SPSS has no matrix programming language. And from what I've been told, neither does Stata.

Finally, S-PLUS is an extremely powerful general statistics software program. It is based upon the language S. And R which is similar to S, is a free program; there have been numerous books and other forms of documentation written about R. For the educated R user, R can perform any of the statistical procedures that any of the other programs can perform.

I am in the process of learning R myself. It's power as a statistical programming language is amazing.

It would appear as if the author of the article favored Stata, and spoke most negatively about SPSS.

Those were my impressions.

Joe Teitelman >>> Simon Freidin <simonpf@unimelb.edu.au> 7/17/2006 5:43 PM >>> For a comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of SAS, SPSS and STATA see the UCLA report

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/technicalreports/Number1/ ucla_ATSstat_tr1_1.0.pdf

cheers Simon