Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:14:38 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: comparing string to numeric
Comments: To: Samuel Solomon <samuel.solomon@nso.gov.er>
Comments: cc: Hector Maletta <hmaletta@FIBERTEL.COM.AR>

To expand a little on what Hector Maletta wrote, which is correct:

At 11:28 AM 7/18/2006, Samuel Solomon wrote:

>I would like you to help me on how I could compare a string to numeric >and vice versa.

The broad question is, what does it mean for your string and your numeric quantities to be the same?

Hector wrote for what's probably the case: your string variable contains the character representation of a numeric quantity, and 'the same' means that they represent the same numeric quantity. Unless you have more specifications, it's the only possible case, because a numeric quantity does not have a canonical string representation. That is, a numeric quantity can be converted to a string with the STRING function; but if the quantity is 3, then '3', '003', and '3.00' are all possible string conversions, none more representative of the quantity 3 than are any of the others.

So, if you have anything else in mind, you should probably write again.

One caveat: if your string does NOT represent a valid numeric quantity, then the value of Hectors "newvar" will be system-missing. If you compare it to your numeric quantity, the comparison will return 'missing', not 'false', and the difference matters in some cases.

So, don't test "stringvar EQ newvar"; test