Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:14:13 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Edward Boadi <eboadi@abhct.com>
Subject:      Re: Matching two data files
Comments: To: Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>

Thanks Richard, I am very grateful.

Warm Regards .

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Ristow [mailto:wrristow@mindspring.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 4:01 PM To: Edward Boadi; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Matching two data files

At 02:44 PM 7/18/2006, Edward Boadi wrote:

>File1.sav with variables Var 1, Var2,Var3 ..... Var8 >and >File2.sav with variable Var3. > >I want to perform the following task: > >Keep all cases in File1.sav for which Var2 in File1.sav = Var2 in >File2.sav.

Yes. Not very hard. Except for one caveat, below. And I assume you mean 'var3', above, since File2.sav contains only var3.

First, combine the files. This is not tested, and has BIG CAVEAT.

MATCH FILES /FILE=File1.sav/ /FILE=File2.sav/RENAME=(var3=var3.2).

* CAVEAT: You don't have any shared key between your files, . * to use a "/BY" subcommand. Matching without a "/BY" is . * legal (it's called a "parallel match"), but unwise. . * You have no check whatever that matched records correspond.

SELECT IF (var3 EQ var3.2). * CAVEAT: This will reject any case for which var3 is . * missing in either input file. .

* You'll have 'var3.2' in the final file. Delete it, if you . * like. .