Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:39:29 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Oliver, Richard" <roliver@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: rolling 5 yr average
Comments: To: coxspss@cox.net

Would the CREATE command give you what you want? For example:

CREATE ma_var1=MA(var1 3).

This creates a new variables that is the centered moving average of the original variable.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Wright Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 7:07 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: rolling 5 yr average

Listed below is an excerpt from a database reporting degree completion in years for each academic program.

year prog time 1998 mc1 2 1998 mc2 2.5 1998 mc3 1 . . . 2001 mc1 1.8 2001 mc2 2 2001 mc3 3

I want to generate a report that displays rolling 3 year averages:

1993-95 1994-96 1995-97 time 2.3 1.8 3

The goal is to keep it simple (ala running a means by 3yravg to generate a display of 3 year averages).

I could do separate temporary select ifs for 3 year segments, but then I can only output to a report a single year set per display.

Or perhaps I could aggregate by 3 year sets & then combine each as a separate 3 yr group.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.