Date:         Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:01:26 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Alexander J. Shackman" <ajshackman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: effect size: eta-squared vs partial eta-squared
Comments: To: "Dogan, Enis" <edogan@air.org>

see also

http://web.uccs.edu/lbecker/Psy590/es.htm and http://web.uccs.edu/lbecker/SPSS/glm_effectsize.htm

On 7/18/06, Dogan, Enis <edogan@air.org> wrote: > > Dear all > > > > SPSS reports partial et-sq as opposed to eta-squared. > > I found in the literature the rule thumb for eta-squared as small > (0.01), medium (0.06), and large (0.14) (Cohen, 1988). > > Does this apply to partial eta-squared as well? > > Also, the definition of eta-squared gives me the idea that it is no > different than what some of us call partial R squared. > > Am I right? > > > > There is rumor out there that "researchers erroneously report partial > eta-squared values as representing classical eta-squared values" > > http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~haguinis/APMinpress.pdf > > > > Any value in this argument? > > > > Thanx > > > > Enis > > >

-- Alexander J. Shackman Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience Waisman Laboratory for Brain Imaging & Behavior University of Wisconsin-Madison 1202 West Johnson Street Madison, Wisconsin 53706

Telephone: +1 (608) 358-5025 FAX: +1 (608) 265-2875 EMAIL: ajshackman@gmail.com