Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:46:27 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: 10 most frequent occurring values of a multiple response set
Comments: cc: Edward Boadi <eboadi@abhct.com>, "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>

At 04:28 PM 7/20/2006, Beadle, ViAnn wrote:

>Compute some variable which is a combination of all three values. For >example if z1, z2, and z3 take on two[-digit] values you'll need some >thing like: > >Compute z=z1 + z2*1000 + z3*100000. > >The second step is to rank occurrences, not values. > >You need to use aggregate to capture the occurrences into a variable, >using the N function and z as your break variable.

Etc. I think this is exactly right, except why "compute some variable which is a combination of all three values"? AGGREGATE is perfectly happy with BREAKing on multiple variables. I'd suggest

DATASET DECLARE ranked_data. AGGREGATE /OUTFILE='ranked_data' /BREAK=z1 z2 z3 /N=N.

instead of

COMPUTE Z=z1+z2*1000+z3*100000. DATASET DECLARE ranked_data. AGGREGATE /OUTFILE='ranked_data' /BREAK=z