Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:09:12 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: weighted numbers
Comments: To: Albert-jan Roskam <fomcl@yahoo.com>

Weights don't apply to AGGREGATE; only to statistical procedures.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Albert-jan Roskam Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 7:52 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: weighted numbers

Dear all,

I want to calculate the relative proportions of people within educational categories, stratified by sex and country. I use a standardized weight that corrects for sample selection bias. Could anybody tell me why-oh-why the two methods listed below yield (slightly) different results? The N function of the aggregate counts the weighed number of cases within the break group. So why are the AGGREGATE results identical to the output I get using SUMMARIZE with an UNweighted sample? Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Albert-Jan

weight by w_plus.

** Method 1. compute dummy = 1. summarize tables = dummy by sex by country3 by educat / cells = npct (educat).

** Method 2. aggregate outfile = "d:\temp\tmp.sav" / break = sex country3 educat / n = n. aggregate outfile = * / break = sex country3 / n_tot = n. match files table = * / file = "d:\temp\tmp.sav" / by = sex country3. compute pct = (n / n_tot ) * 100. exe.