Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:51:20 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Norton <jnorton@lumc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Finding the Lowest Value

Hi List, Last week I requested help with locating the lowest value across several variables. The heart of my solution below rests with comparing whether the value of measure(#i) = MIN(wbc1 TO wbc9). I use a loop such that when that argument is true, I record the iteration (the week) to the target variable. Placed within a macro, I can call the macro as many times as I have measurements. DEFINE low_week (first = !CHAREND(';')/last = !CHAREND(':') /target = !CMDEND). VECTOR measure = !first TO !last. LOOP #i = 1 TO 9. DO IF (measure(#i) = MIN(!first TO !last)). !CONCAT('COMPUTE ',!target,' = #i.'). END IF. END LOOP. EXE. !ENDDEFINE. low_week first = WBC1; last = WBC9: target = wbc_lowest_week. low_week first = gran1; last = gran9: target = gran_lowest_week.

My thanks to Gene Maguin for his suggested solutions from last week. Best, John Norton Biostatistician Oncology Institute Loyola University Medical Center (708) 327-3095 jnorton@lumc.edu "Absence of evidence