Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:41:59 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Vishal Lala <vlala@PACE.EDU>
Subject:      Randomly Sort a variable

Hello,

For a paper we are working on, I need to randomly sort data from one column/variable into another. So, if the data in the mother column/variable is 2, 7, 5, 9, 4, the data in the next column needs to be randomly sorted like say 4, 5, 9, 7, 2. One way to do this is to create a random id variable and sort based on that but the problem is that "Sort" will change the sequence of all cases not just the column of interest. I could copy and paste but this will take an inordinately long time for the 10,000 random columns we have planned. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

thanks, Vishal

Dr. Vishal Lala Assistant Professor of Marketing