Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:40:44 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Antoon Smulders <a.smulders@beke.nl>
Subject:      Re: Randomly Sort a variable
Comments: To: 'Marta García-Granero' <biostatistics@terra.es>

Hi Marta and Vishal (and others)

I am not so familiar with the MATRIX statement, but it can be easily done without it. Just create a file with only the variable to be randomly sorted and follow the procedure that Vishal suggested, then MATCH the file with the original file. As an example (V1 is the variable to be "shuffled").

GET FILE "s:\test.sav". MATCH FILES FILE * /KEEP v1. * the following is some aritrary random function: COMPUTE rn = rv.normal(1, 10). SORT CASES BY rn. MATCH FILES FILE * /RENAME v1 = RandomCopyV1 /KEEP RandomCopyV1. MATCH FILES FILE * /FILE "s:\test.sav".

Antoon Smulders

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- Van: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Namens Marta García-Granero Verzonden: dinsdag 25 juli 2006 20:19 Aan: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Onderwerp: Re: Randomly Sort a variable

Hi Vishal

VL> For a paper we are working on, I need to randomly sort data from one VL> column/variable into another. So, if the data in the mother VL> column/variable is 2, 7, 5, 9, 4, the data in the next column needs to be VL> randomly sorted like say 4, 5, 9, 7, 2. One way to do this is to create a VL> random id variable and sort based on that but the problem is that "Sort" VL> will change the sequence of all cases not just the column of interest. I VL> could copy and paste but this will take an inordinately long time for the VL> 10,000 random columns we have planned. I would greatly appreciate any VL> suggestions.

This task is easy with MATRIX.

* Tiny example dataset *. DATA LIST FREE/var1 (F8). BEGIN DATA. 2 7 5 9 4 END DATA.

MATRIX. GET data /VAR=var1. COMPUTE randoms=UNIFORM(NROW(data),1). COMPUTE sdata=data. COMPUTE sdata(GRADE(randoms))=data. COMPUTE vname={'shuffled'}. SAVE sdata /OUTFILE='C:\Temp\RandomlyShuffledData.sav'/NAMES=vname. END MATRIX. MATCH FILES /FILE=* /FILE='C:\Temp\\RandomlyShuffledData.sav'. LIST.

Ìf you plan to do that for a lot of variables (10,000!) then the wisest thing to do would be turn this code into a simple MACRO that loops thru the whole file. If you need help to do that, please do not hesitate to ask me.

-- Regards, Dr. Marta García-Granero,PhD mailto:biostatistics@terra.es Statistician

----------------------------------------------------------------------- "It is unwise to use a statistical procedure whose use one does not understand. SPSS syntax guide cannot supply this knowledge, and it is certainly no substitute for the basic understanding of statistics and statistical thinking that is essential for the wise choice of methods and the correct interpretation of their results".