Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:05:08 +0530
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Manmit Shrimali <MShrimali@marketrx.com>
Subject:      Re: Variable length to maximum

Thanks staffan but the problem is that I need to do for all variables. I have 550 numeric variables and 39 string variables. Can I use something like all varnum and all var string etc..

Please help.

-----Original Message----- From: Staffan Lindberg [mailto:staffan.lindberg@anastat.se] Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 5:59 PM To: Manmit Shrimali; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SV: Variable length to maximum

You can do this with the FORMAT statement, i.e.

FORMAT VARNUM (F40.0). FORMAT VARSTRING (A255).

best

Staffan Lindberg National Institute of Public Health Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] För Manmit Shrimali Skickat: den 28 juli 2006 14:21 Till: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Ämne: Variable length to maximum

This is rather very simple question. However, after lot of research I still could not find the answer. Can please anyone provide me syntax for setting the variable length to maximum i.e numeric to 40 and string to 255.

Right now I have to manually go in width column of variable view and set it to maximum. I have to set it to maximum as when I have wave 2 data to merge, the length should be the same.

Thanks in advance.