Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:48:10 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Staffan Lindberg <staffan.lindberg@anastat.se>
Subject:      SV: Variable length to maximum
Comments: To: Manmit Shrimali <MShrimali@marketrx.com>

OK!

You can use the TO functions when the variables are consecutively placed (numerical or string) i.e.

Format Varnum1 to VarnumX (F40.0). Format Varstring1 to VarstringX (A255).

This can be somewhat tedious, if you have every other numerical and every other string. Perhaps it is possible to use a script or something similar. Perhaps some script wizard on the list could help you.

best

Staffan Lindberg National Institute of Public Health Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] För Manmit Shrimali Skickat: den 28 juli 2006 14:35 Till: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Ämne: Re: Variable length to maximum

Thanks staffan but the problem is that I need to do for all variables. I have 550 numeric variables and 39 string variables. Can I use something like all varnum and all var string etc..

Please help.

-----Original Message----- From: Staffan Lindberg [mailto:staffan.lindberg@anastat.se] Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 5:59 PM To: Manmit Shrimali; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SV: Variable length to maximum

You can do this with the FORMAT statement, i.e.

FORMAT VARNUM (F40.0). FORMAT VARSTRING (A255).

best

Staffan Lindberg National Institute of Public Health Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] För Manmit Shrimali Skickat: den 28 juli 2006 14:21 Till: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Ämne: Variable length to maximum

This is rather very simple question. However, after lot of research I still could not find the answer. Can please anyone provide me syntax for setting the variable length to maximum i.e numeric to 40 and string to 255.

Right now I have to manually go in width column of variable view and set it to maximum. I have to set it to maximum as when I have wave 2 data to merge, the length should be the same.

Thanks in advance.