Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:05:38 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Oliver, Richard" <roliver@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files
Comments: To: jaredp <webonomic@gmail.com>

Windows has a command line utility called findstr, which will find strings in .sps files. I don't know why the Search UI in XP fails to find text within .sps files. AFAIK, they are simple text files.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of jaredp Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 12:48 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Prepare to be excited!

Unix and Linux systems have a command called GREP which allows to search for a string of text within files.

You are in luck because you can download a piece of software for the Windows operating system which will do the same thing. Get it here http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/

This software is free as in price and free as in freedom (it is provided for anyone to use under an open source license).

Jared