Date:         Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:09:14 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hillel Vardi <hilel@BGU.AC.IL>
Subject:      Re: Randomly Sort a variable
Comments: To: Vishal Lala <vlala@PACE.EDU>

Shalom

Here is how to get as many random columns as you need without using any macro .

title Randomly Sort a variable. input program . loop i=1 to 12 . compute val=trunc(unifrom(200))+1. end case . end loop . end file . end input program . execute . formats val(f4). * >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> change here to get as many copy as needed <<<<<< loop i=1 to 8 . xsave outfile=tmp.sav. end loop . get file=tmp.sav. compute var1=unifrom(2000000). sort cases by i var1 . add files file=* /first=start/by i . numeric seq(f4). leave seq. if start eq 1 seq=0. compute seq=sum(seq,1) . sort cases by seq i . CASESTOVARS /ID = seq /INDEX = i /seperator="" /drop=var1 start /GROUPBY = VARIABLE .

Hillel Vardi Ben Gurion U Israel

Vishal Lala wrote: > Hello, > > For a paper we are working on, I need to randomly sort data from one > column/variable into another. So, if the data in the mother > column/variable is 2, 7, 5, 9, 4, the data in the next column needs to be > randomly sorted like say 4, 5, 9, 7, 2. One way to do this is to create a > random id variable and sort based on that but the problem is that "Sort" > will change the sequence of all cases not just the column of interest. I > could copy and paste but this will take an inordinately long time for the > 10,000 random columns we have planned. I would greatly appreciate any > suggestions. > > thanks, > Vishal > > > Dr. Vishal Lala > Assistant Professor of Marketing > Pace University >