LISTSERV at the University of Georgia
Menubar Imagemap
Home Browse Manage Request Manuals Register
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:00:48 -0400
Reply-To:     emaguin <>
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         emaguin <>
Subject:      Re: Recode question
In-Reply-To:  <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"


I think something has been missed the replies to my question.

Going into the recode 99 was declared to be user missing as the frequency listing shows. The recode statement ... (missing=9) should have recoded any user or system missing values to 9. When you look at what comes out, you see that one case has a value of 9, which would be the case with a sysmis value going in, and 19 cases have a value of 99. The sysmis part worked as documented. My contention is that those 19 cases, because they were user missing going in should have been changed to 9 coming out but they weren't. It is these 19 cases that I interested in.

I also realize I also did a poor job in making clear what I did because I left out a missing values statement wherein I declared that 9 was user missing and which was positioned after the recode statement and before the frequencies statement.

Back to: Top of message | Previous page | Main SPSSX-L page