Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:41:35 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Joseph Teitelman temp2 <cmtemp2@pgahq.com>
Subject:      Re: PPS sampling
Comments: To: Cathal McCrory <Cathal.McCrory@esri.ie>

You are describing a systematic sampling design. A PPS sampling design means a sample with probabilties proportional to size. They are entirely distinct sampling designs. Whether you wish to choose one of these sampling methods is dependent upon various factors. I would suspect that in your case you can use systematic sampling

>>> Cathal McCrory <Cathal.McCrory@esri.ie> 7/7/2006 11:05 AM >>> I have the enrolment numbers for 3200 schools and I want to select 13,000 pupils from within these schools on a PPS basis. For example:

Pupil Cumulative School Enrolment Population 1 116 116 2 163 279 3 232 511 4 204 715 5 274 989 6 188 1177 7 210 1387 8 407 1794 9 298 2092

I want to generate a random start within SPSS and select every 4th pupil from within the cumulative population total (rather than a set number of cases) and have the program iterate until I have drawn my sample of 13,000. I was wondering whether anyone could give me any pointers (to existing routines) or offer any guidance on this. Many thanks.