Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:28:11 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Frommelt, Allen" <Frommelt@chime.org>
Subject:      Truncating zip code

I am interested in mapping patient origin from zip code. Our zip codes are currently 9 character strings, but our mapping software can only read five character zip codes. Does anyone on the list know of a method in SPSS that will allow me to create a 5 character zip code variable by lopping off the last four characters (e.g., 06451333 would become 06451).

Thanks