Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:44:01 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jen Sabatier <plessthanpointohfive@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      finding minimum value in most efficient manner

Hello, all,

I have a dataset of individual's work histories. So, there is are columns for id, jobtitle, months.

data hx; input id jobtitle $ months; datalines; 1 Floater 3 1 Operator 1 1 Crew 8 1 Manager 30 2 Operator 5 2 Crew 2 3 Helper 1 4 Helper 10 4 Operator 56 4 Supervisor 22 4 Manager 10 . . . ;

So, we have unequal lengths to the actual work history. Some people held several jobs, some just a few, and some only one.

What I need to do is locate the shortest job held for each person for people who held more than one job, flag it and the jobs before and/or after it. I will need to examine the previous and/or prior job along with the shortest job. If a person held only one job then I need to flag them seperately.

I've tried to do this with an array but I can't make it work. I know it must be simple.

Hope someone can help!