Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:13:14 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Phil Rack <philrack@MINEQUEST.COM>
Subject:      Re: run; quits; and other questions
Comments: To: Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET>

Alan,

I think you can have a proc or a data step execute without any run statement as long as it's followed by another PROC or Data Step. For example:

data a; input v1 v2; cards; 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 ;;;;

data b; set a;

proc means data=b; var a b;

data c; set b; c=v1+v2; run;

Everything above executes.

-----Original Message----- From: Alan Churchill [mailto:SASL001@SAVIAN.NET] Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 2:56 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: run; quits; and other questions

I have a question for the listserv that is obscure but important.

I know I can do this horrible, horrible construct:

data test ;

set sashelp.class;

.and it will run without a run; statement.

However, I can't seem to run a proc without a run statement. A macro ,likewise, isn't recognized unless the prior data step is closed off with a run statement.

My question is what constructs are out there such as the data step without a run statement where SAS implicitly adds in a statement? I am only asking about the major constructs such as procs and data step. So far, from my testing, it appears that only a data step can take an implied run; whereas other statements require closure. Is this a valid assumption? Does this also apply to macros requiring a %mend in all cases?

Alan

Alan Churchill

Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies"

www.savian.net