Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:56:10 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Andrew Kramer <akramer@CERNER.COM>
Subject:      Strip leading zeros

I inherited a file that has an undesirable format for the patient ID ("PTID"). In essence PTID was derived from a numeric variable and reformatted as $6. Unfortunately leading zeros were added to fill out the variable. I would like to strip away the leading zeros and leave the rest of the value. Here's some examples of what I'd like to do:

PTID newPTID 000012 12 020093 20093 004000 4000

I'm using version 9.1.3.

Thanks, Andrew Kramer