Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 16:02:12 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ian Whitlock <iw1junk@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Merge fails to pick up ID?
Comments: cc: Kitty Lee <lee.kitty@YAHOO.COM>

Kitty,

This probably isn't your problem, but it shows the possibilities and might be difficult to locate without looking at the code.

data a ; length caseid $ 24 ; do id = 1 to 5 ; caseid = put ( id , 8. ) ; output ; end ; run ; data b ; length caseid $ 24 ; do id2 = 1 to 5 ; caseid = put ( id2 , 8. ) ; substr(caseid,1,1) = '00'x ; output ; end ; run ; data c ; merge a b ; by caseid ; run ; proc print data = c ; run ;

Here is the print of C.

Obs caseid id id2 1 1 . 1 2 2 . 2 3 3 . 3 4 4 . 4 5 5 . 5 6 1 1 . 7 2 2 . 8 3 3 . 9 4 4 . 10 5 5 .

Try taking to match CASEIDs and put them using $HEX48.

Note to Michael Davis: How is this for a "cheap and cleazy trick" to mess up anyone stealing your data?

It might also qualify for Bob Virgile Puzzle.

Ian Whitlock ================= Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:09:51 -0400 Reply-To: Kitty Lee <lee.kitty@YAHOO.COM> Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" From: Kitty Lee <lee.kitty@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: Merge fails to pick up ID? Oh, I have spent so many hours on something that's supposed to be simple..... As suggested by Howard & Arthur, I did define the numeric to character. I also did the trimming and left-adjust. Because my dataset B was in .csv format (for R). I tried to export my original file out as .csv, reimported it back and tried to merge. Still failed. Finally, I thought I should 'go back to the basics'.... I ended up creating a new caseid (=_n_) and redid everything. Now the merge worked. Still a big puzzle why the program can't recognize the original caseid.....:-( though the primitive method came to the rescue. K. <snip>