Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:37:30 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         OR Stats <stats112@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Exiting & Restarting Do Loop w. Different Initial Conditions

Dear All,

I have a do loop in a macro that generates rows of a table. A set of initial conditions are set before the loop begins. However, what would be ideal is when a predefined exception occurs at an iteration within the loop, that do loop is restarted under a different set of initial conditions and the table is regenerated. Because, what drives the violation or lack thereof is the initial conditions as the process is a recursive routine doped with a random #. However, the code I have is not successful in achieving this. This is the code that I have so far and simplified for illustration of the main point:

%let a=1; %let b=-2; %let c=3; %let d=4; %let e=5; data mc_pyz; do _n_=1 to 3000; p=ranuni(&seed); . . . *Each step populates table with y, h, and e values, which are recursive are generated; *y=some function of h & e functions; *h=recursive function of initial conditions & random number generated; *e=recursive function of initial conditions and random number generated;

*Exception occurs when any calculated h<0; *which invalidates the calculation of e & y so the entire loop needs to be restarted under a different set of initial conditions; if h<0 then do; %let a=5; %let b=6; %let c=7; %let d=8; %let e=9; _n_=1 end; *When no exception has occurred the recursion continues from _n_ + up to 3000 with the current initial conditions; else do; *y=function; *h=function; *e=function; end; output ; end; run;quit;

SAS is not reading ' _n_=1 ' as a restart of the loop. I tried using ' %let _n_=1 ' But the loop still does not restart either. To save comp time, it's ideal upon reaching the exception, the loop is terminated and restarted, and the orginal table is written over. Has anyone come across this? To our senior members, is this already a solved problems to be found in the Archives? Thanx!