Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:12:52 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:   Re: Lookup table in SAS + random numbers in SAS

hemanhunters@GMAIL.COM wrote back: >One more thing... Is BETWEEN a lot slower than just conditioning with <= >and >=? I tried both and when I use <= and >= my code executes in about >five seconds. When I do the same thing with between it runs for several >minutes, and still doesn't finish. It almost feels like it is stuck in a >loop or something. I mean, the difference can't be THAT big...(?)

No, not usually.

Perhaps you could show us your two chunks of code, and the timings for them.

If you manage to do this just right, you may be able to get one to get good optimization from the SQL optimization, and not the other way. Then, if you are hitting a really large database, the lack of optimization could cause something like this.

Alternatively, you could have the situation I once had, where I thought one code snippet had to be inferior because of the time I was waiting, and it turned out I hit the database just as it was being backed up to tape and when I tried a different time it worked just fine. Urgh.

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Donít just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/