Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:20:34 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Kristin Graves <gravesk@CONED.COM>
Subject:   Transporting a temporary dataset

Hello SAS-L -

I am reading a mainframe flat file by creating a temporary SAS dataset. I want to then create a transport dataset that I can download to my Windows PC. My mainframe is running 6.08 and the PC is running SAS 9.1.

The problem is that SAS doesn't like the libname statement for my temporary dataset. I'd rather not create a permanent dataset because I don't need it (although the sample below only has 77 obs, my real-life datasets could have over 3 million obs). I only need the version for download. The statement that seems to be causing the problem is in line 620 of my log below.

Any ideas would be *greatly* appreciated. I've tried about 10 different ways to do this and none of them are working.

thanks very much. ************************************************** Here is a snipped version of what I'm running:

[SIDE NOTE: THE FILE IENG237.ANALYZEI.POPDATA.SASDATA ALREADY EXISTS, AND HAS BEEN SET UP WITH THE RECFM, LRECL, AND BLKSIZE SPECIFIED FOR TRANSPORT FILES. HERE IS THE LOG THAT ASSIGNS THE LIBREF TO THE FILE THAT I WANT TO EVENTUALLY DOWNLOAD.]

49 50 * FILENAME AND LIBREF FOR OUTPUT DATA FILE (BE SURE FILE EXISTS); 51 %LET FLATFILE=IENG237.ANALYZEI.POPDATA.SASDATA; 52 LIBNAME TRAN XPORT "&FLATFILE"; NOTE: Libref TRAN was successfully assigned as follows: Engine: XPORT Physical Name: IENG237.ANALYZEI.POPDATA.SASDATA 53

NOW I READ THE FLAT FILE INTO THE TEMPORARY DATASET (I've snipped out all that part)

NOW I CREATE THE FINAL TEMPORARY DATASET THAT I WANT TO COPY TO MY TRANSPORT DATASET. I'M KEEPING ONLY THE VARIABLES THAT I WANT TO DOWNLOAD.

607 DATA TMPDS; 608 SET BILL; 609 KEEP AC TOD1 ANNPRP ANNKWH MAXKW PSCSC CSCSC DIV 610 TOD LDSTDY; 611 RENAME AC=SITE 612 TOD1=READDATE 613 ANNPRP=DAYS 614 ANNKWH=TOTALKWH 615 MAXKW=KW 616 PSCSC=RATE 617 CSCSC=TARIFF; 618 RUN; 619 620 LIBNAME TMPDS 'WORK.TMPDS'; 621 622 * DUMP FIRST 50 RECORDS TO VERIFY FLAT FILE; 623 624 PROC SORT DATA=TMPDS; 625 BY SITE; 626 RUN; 627 628 PROC PRINT DATA=TMPDS(OBS=50); 629 TITLE4 "DUMP OF 50 OBS BEFORE DUMPING INTO FLAT FILE"; 630 RUN; 631 632 * LIBNAME TEMP TEMP; 633 634 PROC COPY IN=TMPDS OUT=TRAN MEMTYPE=DATA; 635 RUN; 636

NOTE: The data set WORK.TMPDS has 77 observations and 10 variables. NOTE: The DATA statement used 0.01 CPU seconds and 4558K.

ERROR: SVC99 error rc=4, reason=1708 : IKJ56228I DATA SET WORK.TMPDS NOT IN CATALOG OR CATALOG CAN NOT BE ACCESSED. ERROR: SVC99 error rc=4, reason=1708 : IKJ56228I DATA SET WORK.TMPDS NOT IN CATALOG OR CATALOG CAN NOT BE ACCESSED. ERROR: SVC99 error rc=4, reason=1708 : IKJ56228I DATA SET WORK.TMPDS NOT IN CATALOG OR CATALOG CAN NOT BE ACCESSED. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME or FILENAME statement. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME or FILENAME statement. ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME or FILENAME statement. NOTE: SAS sort was used. NOTE: The data set WORK.TMPDS has 77 NOTE: The PROCEDURE SORT used 0.00 CP

NOTE: The PROCEDURE PRINT printed pag NOTE: The PROCEDURE PRINT used 0.01 C

ERROR: Libname TMPDS is not assigned. ERROR: Libname TMPDS is not assigned. ERROR: Libname TMPDS is not assigned. NOTE: Statements not processed because of errors noted above. NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. NOTE: The PROCEDURE COPY used 0.00 CPU seconds and 4652K.