Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Aug 2006 22:30:12 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "A. Michielsen" <amichielsen@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hummingbird xterm
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

[posted and mailed]

I would describe - for a newbie - XTerm is pretty simply a X-Windows Telnet program. X-Windows allows (when properly setup at both ends) allows (in this example) SAS to open and use Windows on the User System. If you only operate in Batch mode - you may never use or need these capabilities. (Typically you don't in batch. However, you can create Batch jobs that pop open User interface Windows (X-Windows) to interact with the User. I've used that feature to prompt for User Passwords / Database Name / and program code options (Report #1, #2) / Complete like = or IN clauses, etc.)