Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:42:10 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ian Whitlock <iw1junk@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      character length in concatenating table
Comments: cc: Arjen <a.benedictus@GMAIL.COM>

Arjen,

I don't believe what you describe can happen. Take a carefull look at A since the length is determined from the first data set.

Try to create an example that we can look at, i.e. create data sets A and B from CARDS. If this proves impossible try

data A2 ; set A ( keep = MyVariable ) ; run ; Data B2 ; set B ( keep = MyVariable ) ; run ; data C2 ; set A2 B2 ; run ; proc contents data = A2 ; run ; proc contents data = B2 ; run ; proc contents data = C2 ; run ;

and show the contents on SAS-L. Also try to desribe as much of the situation as possible. For example, oh these are not work data sets, A is an Oracle table using the SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME ....

Ian Whitlock =============== Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 06:25:52 -0700 Reply-To: Arjen <a.benedictus@GMAIL.COM> Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" From: Arjen <a.benedictus@GMAIL.COM> Organization: http://groups.google.com Subject: character length in concatenating table Comments: To: sas-l Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Hi all, I have tables A and B with length of all variables $50. But when I create table data C; set A B; run; One of my variables is only 8 characters while others are indeed up to $50. Even when I say*/ data C; length MyVariable $50; set A B; run; The problem is not solved. Any ideas? Gracias, Arjen