Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:48:26 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         jrdwthomas@HOTMAIL.COM
Subject:      Re: Individual Freq of multiple columns
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response.

I'll try and explain a little better.

If i were to write...

proc summary data=info; by column1; output out=info2; run;

This would give me a summary of column1 telling me how many times an observations had occured in that column. What i need is this doing to all 100 columns. This is why i came up with 200. Basically something that looks like this

Column1¦_freq_¦column2¦ _freq_¦ column3¦ _freq_¦

abcd 3 gggg 4 dddd 6 ccvv 2 kkkk 6 eeee 8 bnm 0 aaaa 7 opuu 7

This is what i would ike the output to look like except there would be many more columns!

Does this explain it a little better?

Thanks for the quick response.

Eric Hoogenboom wrote: > I am not sure if I understand correctly. Especially the 200 confuses > me. But let me guess. > > Apparently your columns together form a sort of multiple variable. This > is a construct that SPSS knows, but SAS does not. You have to transform > the dataset to a column/value form. It is easy in SAS. Probably you can > adapt the example code below. > > data one; > input c1-c5; > datalines; > 1 2 1 1 2 > 2 1 2 2 2 > 3 1 3 2 3 > run; > > data two (keep=val col); > set one; > array cols c1-c5; > do i=1 to dim(cols); > col = vname(cols(i)); > val = cols(i); > output; > end; > run; > > proc freq data=two; > tables val * col / nocum nocol norow nopercent missing; > run; > > > Hth, > Eric > > > jrdwthomas@hotmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > This is probably quite an easy task but i'm not personally able to find > > a solution! > > > > Basically i have a sas dataset that has 100 columns and multiple rows > > of data.For each column i would like to now the frequency of its > > observations. This should give me a table that has columns with their > > frequecies basically 200 columns. > > > > Does this make sense? Any help would be much appreciated. > > > > Thanks